top of page
  • Londa

Sunflower Fence Mural Painting Fun

Updated: May 26, 2022

The New View from the Sunroom Sewing Studio

This Spring/Summer my focus has been working outside in our backyard, the ‘view’ from my Sunroom Sewing Studio.  Here’s the result after roughly a month of serious planning and 5 glorious days of painting fun.  Conclusion:  Painting is making a 3D idea into 2D, while sewing is taking a 2D idea, sketch or picture and transforming it into 3D.  Interesting…..  I guess I realize I enjoy both.  Staying home so much the last few months has killed my excitement for making new clothing, so turning to this project was exciting.


Finished Mural


The ‘Naked’ Wall Challenge and Planning

The dirt between the brick retaining wall and the aged fence is worse than bad.   I decided to give up on getting rid of all of the rock and weeds, and instead to try to paint a mural and plant some softening greenery in large pots in front of it.  Dear hubby did power wash it to start.


The boring challenge wall.


Of course, off to Pinterest I went and put together this Board of ideas, but below is the real inspiration that got me inspired. I really liked the firefly, especially it’s transparent character, but the flowers as being all pretty much the same: that didn’t excite me.


Here’s the other mural I found that I liked, but again – the flowers were all the same, so kinda boring.  And the bee – kinda reminded me of the ‘Killer Bees’.  I’m more of a butterfly and firefly gal.  What I did learn from this mural though was again seeing the transparency of the firefly wings and the white highlights around some of the flower petals.


I truly am not an artist, but I’ve always been able to copy pictures and do what I see.  Years ago, like in 4th grade or so, I would set my horse statues up and draw them over and over and over…  I also managed a craft store years and years ago (Creative Corner in Danville, IL) when tole painting was big – and then folk art, so I learned about shading, washes, etc.  All that came in handy in this project – for which I’m grateful.

Graph The Wall

The length of the wall is 25′ and 6′ tall.   With hubby’s help, chalk, and a yardstick, we made horizontal lines starting at 8″ down then every 12″ down marking it all into 1′ sections.  Then, I scaled it out on graph paper:  3/4″ = 1 foot and started drawing.  Here’s what I came up with…and I finished coloring it in with colored pencils, and assigning each of the sunflowers I’d found online a position in my plan.


Test the Waters…Can I Really Do This? 

After seeking out a mural artist online, I learned how very important it was to paint with an exterior primer everywhere where I would be painting…meaning I would need to paint it all TWICE.  That idea took a bit of attitude adjustment!

I talked to the experts at Sherwin Williams about what kind of primer, but bought a gallon of Vaspar brand at Lowe’s at a better price.   While I didn’t need a gallon, I did ultimately use a good half gallon.  (I have made a list of all of my leftovers and am willing to sell it all as a group.)   To make it easy, I transferred it to a gallon plastic ice cream container with lid, which was lighter to hold in my hand.  For brushes, I worked with a 1″, 2″ slanted and 3″ most of the time.

After all that graphing and planning, I began to question if I could really pull this off.  So….I decided to give it a try behind our shed on the same fence.  It was SO MUCH FUN, and turned out pretty well.  I shared it with a couple of friends and family members who all said it was good, so I figured, why not?  Here arfe pictures of both the primer painting and my final ‘TEST FLOWER’.


If you look closely, you can see that I figured out the logistics of my paint source table at this point also.  I hit upon the idea of cheap disposable aluminum pans with covers as lightweight paint pallets.  Ultimately, ‘to go’ boxes were even better, but I didn’t have many of those.  Paper towels needed to be handy, as did water for adding fluidity to the paint, doing ‘washes’, and washing out my brushes.  Large wild rice and nut plastic containers with lids worked GREAT for that – and I had saved a whole bunch of those.  An old shower curtain covered a table from the sewing studio.  You can see below how I used a large butterfly clip to hold my sketches and inspirational photos (for petal and center painting) right up there on the wall where I could see them.  Remember…I said I could COPY, not just ‘paint’ from my head!  I also challenged myself to work on layering on this flower – where the petals flop over onto the large sunflower center.  I learned that leaves would be a challenge – especially the veining.

Sketch & Prime

With my foot by foot composition completed, I just had to go copy it onto my fence wall, square by square.  Since there is at the most 4′ between the fence and the retaining wall, that was a challenge since I couldn’t easily ‘back up’ to see where I was at.  However, I did manage – using both carpenter’s pencil and regular chalk to do the sketching.  Or course, there were some subtle changes along the way but this was my game plan.