top of page
  • Londa

Fed up?….Then SEW!!!

Finding myself in the midst of a very complicated website re-do (my host company got purchased by another!), and with TOO many re-decorating projects on my mind in our new TN home…I NEEDED a SEWING DATE!  Ahhhh…. to be in CONTROL!  My dear daughter is within weeks of giving birth to my first grandDAUGHTER and I had agreed to stitch up another ‘nursing/lounging top & pant’ set.  So, Sunday afternoon found me in my Sunroom Sewing Studio – my new light, bright, cheery ‘heaven’ . I completely understand that what I’ll be sharing is NOT exact, precise, ‘text-book’ sewing, and generally I’m quite more precise in my work, but this day, I needed it to be just FUN, EZ, and to GET IT DONE!  That being said, ‘walk through the process’ with me in the Blog Post, and perhaps learn a few hints and ‘tricks of the trade’ as I share my experience.

Here’s the final result – a VERY low necked top with a large draped collar for discretion while nursing.  She had purchased 1 outfit kinda like this from which I took some measurements.  I utilized Butterick 5796 with adaptations as I’ll describe.



When we visited last, I had already made the aqua viscose knit set that she can interchange with this one.  The top fit GREAT, and she confirmed it offered the ‘access’ and ‘hiding’ qualities she sought.  She also liked the ‘Angel’ silhouette sleeves and requested some BIG ‘Palazzo’ type pants for this poly jersey print.  I had taken along my favorite pair of dancing pants with wide legs which she tried on – and they FIT – even at 7 months pregnant, so she said that following those for the new pants would be great.

Measurements I took from my pants are recorded as shown below.  Kinda ‘cryptic’, so let me interpret…  Though sharing this will teach you what measurements are needed to ‘copy’ Ready-To-Wear such as this.


F cr L = Front Crotch Length – I just measured the front finished crotch length from seam at the middle of the inseams up to the top ‘Band’.

B cr L = Back Crotch Length – same for the back.  ‘+sa’ reminded me to add seam allowances to these measurements.

Hem = 20.  That meant that at the bottom of the leg, it was 20″ wide – BOTH front and back so a total of 40″ hem circumference.

‘os’ = outseam length of 40″ – and that I knew was from the bottom of the Band to hem.

‘is’ = inseam length of 33″ – the inseam length.

Top Band – cut on crossgrain measured 32″ in circumference + seam allowance

16″ of crossgrain fabric stretched to 24″ – so I knew my fabric had to have = stretch or I’d need to change some measurements of this top Band since she certainly needed that much stretch…though these modern mamas are wearing their pants BELOW their baby bellies I’ve come to learn…

Dbld+sa = that the band was 15″ tall, but doubled and I needed to add seam allowances.

Below is a close-up photo of that top Band which is doubled and VERY tall (15″) as you see it – so had to be cut 30″ tall.  That is a fold at the very top.  I’ve ben checking these out in my Snoop-Shopping, and generally there is NOT even ANY elastic in this knit cross-grain cut band! So – that’s how I did it.  These black pants were done at the top with  just 1 seam, but I had to have 2 side seams to get it out of the available fabric.  The beauty of this top ‘finish’ for pants is that they fit – a WIDE range of tummies, and can just fold down to be whatever height you desire – alas, the ‘floating waist’ debate!


Below, then you see my Angel Sleeve, the top Band, and the legs of the pattern’s pants cut WIDER according to my measurements.  Note that the silhouette/curve at the inseam and outseam of the Palazzo pant are the same for Front and Back.  I laid the original maternity pant front on just to give you an idea of the changes made to achieve the silhouette I was after.  NOT rocket science – believe me.  I LOVE and use RED DOT TRACER for pattern creation like this that I know will be utilized again.


CUTTING & Design Tweaks


  Even though I have a great Horn Cutting Table and 40×72 cutting mat (yes, I sell those in ANY size at, for this 4 yard length of fabric, I KNEW I had to support the extra length.  I did that with a stool that was handy, but fully realize that something the same height would be even better.  I did take a while petting my fabric to get it laying without pulls BEFORE starting to lay out my pieces for cutting.  Believe me, this web-ordered fabric was NOT cut straight to begin with!

I thought I had PLENTY of yardage with 4 yards, but alas, I had to ‘eeek’ it out.  That meant I HAD to reduce the width of the leg as you see below.  I KNOW to do so properly would have been to take the needed amount of BOTH inseam and outseam, but it is a FULL leg, and no one would know – and I wanted to GET IT DONE – so I did as you see.  Sometimes it just doesn’t matter.  (Remember, I TOLD you this was pretty ‘down n dirty’ type sewing, so please don’t scold me in comments…).